Sunday, October 19, 2008

Recently Read #3

Something i have recently read is a short story called 'One Final Lesson', from the book Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul. This story is about a girl who's two best friends innocently died. They were out on a lake in a small boat on the last day of school, just enjoying themselves. The calm water turned choppy when a storm came, and the 3 kids were thrown out of the boat, 2 didn't make it. The way this story is written is in the perspective of one of the kids that died, and it gives an interesting look on dying. The boy sees search parties for him, his family mourning, etc., and doesn't realize he's invisible when he is trying to yell to everyone. As the boy watches his own funeral, he realizes he's actually dead. I thought this was an good (and sad) story, because it was a different way of looking at a death.

1 comment:

Miss Kleinberg said...

When I was in high school, I loved reading the Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul. Stories like that would always make me think: What if that was me?- and I would end up bawling by the end of them. The way that these stories are written are very well done. If you are looking for something else to read, I have heard that Jodi Picoult recommends "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" I just started to read it and it seems like a book that you might enjoy!